Church Tax

Is church really independent from the state? No, this question will not really be answered here. Due to treaties between certain denominations and the government, the state assists these denominations in collecting their tenth from members of these denominations.

What do I have to pay on church taxes?

If you belong to a state church, your income will be assessed for 8% or 9%, depending on the state (Bundesland) in which you live. Church tax will be assessed from the income tax to be paid. “State church” is a colloquial phrasing for those churches that have become a public entity. Although state and church are strictly legally separated since the Middle Ages, the government is allowed to levy a tax on behalf of the church. This tax does not belong to governmental income. It belongs exclusively to the church.
§§Church Tax in Germany

I decided to leave such a church on the state tax system (not necessarily God). I see no reason to pay church tax. So how do I get out of it?

If you left the “state” church last year, cross out the box on religion (line 4 of the main form (Mantelbogen) and enclose the certificate of your church departure. Take care that the tax office fixes only the church tax that has arisen in the period until the expiration of the leaving month (so in the federal states Baden-Wurttemberg, Bavaria, Lower Saxony, Rhineland-Palatinate and the Saarland) or with expiration of the current month (in the remaining federal states). The tax people often get this wrong.

My husband and I belong to different denominations. Can I be sure that my denomination receives its share?

Since you belong to two different denominations, and have joint assessment, half of the total church tax will be forwarded to the relevant denomination.


When registering for taxes and you do not belong to any of the following denominations, leave the "denomination (Religion)" box blank.


Denominations Participating in the Church Tax System

Alt-Katholische Kirche

Freie Religionsgemeinschaft Alzey

Freireligiöse Landesgemeinde Baden

Freireligiöse Landesgemeinde Pfalz

Freireligiöse Gemeinde Mainz

Freireligiöse Gemeinde Offenbach/Main

Israelitische Religionsgemeinschaft Baden

Israelitische Kultussteuer Land Hessen

Israelitische Bekenntnissteuer (Bayern)

Israelitische Kultussteuer Frankfurt

Jüdische Kultusgemeinden Koblenz und Bad Kreuznach

Synagogengemeinde Saar

Israelitische Religionsgemeinschaft Württemberg

Jüdische Kultusgemeinden Koblenz und
Bad Kreuznach

Jüdische Kultussteuer (NRW)

Jüdische Kultussteuer (Hamburg)