A Step by Step Guide to pave your way to Immigration
This page will give you a – step by step – overview what happens in which order and what is to be done when applying.
- Do you need a visa to enter Germany for residential purposes or can you apply from home? In other words, do you enjoy visa waiver privilege and can you apply after entering? Click here for the answer!
- On what grounds do you want to enter Germany?
- Collect relevant documents for your application and have a copy ready.
- Either make an appointment at the next German consulate (visa section) or enter Germany on your 90 day visa waiver. When arranging the appointment at the consulate do make sure you mention that you want / need a national visa for residential purposes, otherwise you might have come in vain.
- After entering Germany, move into your apartment / house,
- register your address at the Meldestelle of your city,
- make an appointment at the immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) of your municipality. Depending on the grounds of your application, you might get the permit on the spot or you will receive a Fiktionsbescheinigung when your visa waiver period or entry visa is about to expire
This is about how it all works. Sounds simple? We admit; the process so abstractly described is really easy. The problems lie in how persuadingly show that you meet the requirements. Case deciders in immigration tend to more deny then grant.